Quintet kicks some brass

Zachery Halsey

David Bohnert, Gary Reeves, Josh Calkin, Randy Newharth and Keith Krueger performed a Touch of Brass last Sunday in Ley Theatre.

Anna Cole, Staff Writer

Touch of Brass got back together last Sunday to perform a show featuring overtures from a wide selection of operas.

The group was founded in 1984 by Keith Krueger, who played trumpet. Dave Bohnert, chair of the Department of Music and director of bands at Wayne State College, joined him on trumpet. On tuba was Josh Calkin, instructor of Low Brass and assistant director of bands at Wayne State. Randy Neuharth, a retired band director at Northeast College, played the trombone, and Gary Reeves, a faculty member from University of South Dakota, played the French horn.

“It’s always nice to get the group back together again,” Calkin said. “This almost feels like a home game.”

The group played pieces from four countries, England, Italy France and Germany. Before each piece, one member would give a short history of operas from around the time of the piece as well as a brief summary of the opera itself.

“It was really interesting to hear opera pieces played by a brass group,” Emma Hajek-Jones, a WSC sophomore and trumpet player, said.