Celebrated Cornhusker football coach to present at WSC

Nathan Pearson, Staff Writer

Former University of Nebraska-Lincoln Head Football Coach Dr. Tom Osborne will be giving a presentation in Ramsey Theatre on Sunday, Jan. 29, at 8 p.m. Osborne will be using his coaching experience to give a presentation on leadership for a campus audience only.

There are still plenty of tickets available for the presentation. Tickets can be picked up in the Kanter Student Center Room 154 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. until Friday, Jan. 27, but only a limited amount of tickets are available.

To pick up a ticket, you need to present your WSC student ID and only one ticket will be given to each person. Faculty and staff may begin picking up tickets on Jan. 23. Admission is first come, first serve, and ticket and ID must be shown for admission.

“This should be a pretty cool event, and we are excited to have him,” Student Activities Board adviser Sarah Gunion said. “This isn’t something he does as much as he used to. He’s more particular about where he goes now, so it’s pretty special to have him.”

Prior to Osborne’s presentation, there will be an autograph and photo session from 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. in the Kanter Student Center Elkhorn Room.
“The autograph and photo session will be limited to the first 50 tickets,” Gunion said.

Not only is Osborne an idol in Nebraska, but he is also regarded as one of the best college football coaches of all-time.

Osborne was the head coach at UNL for 25 years from 1973 to 1997. He won 13 conference championships for the Huskers and won three national championships in 1994, 1995 and 1997. His all-time record at Nebraska is 255-49-3 and his teams in the 1990s are considered some of the best ever during a four- to five-year span. Nebraska was 48-2 from 1994 to 1997 and 60-3 from 1993 to 1997.

Osborne’s 1995 team is also considered by many to be the greatest college football team ever. That year, the Huskers averaged 53 points per game, while allowing just 15 points per game. They defeated Florida in the Fiesta Bowl 62-24 to win the national championship.

“We have plenty of tickets left,” Gunion said. “So come and get them.”