Student Senate looks to team up with Peru and Chadron State

Anna Cole, Staff Writer

The WSC Student Senate is teaming up with Chadron and Peru State College to submit a proposal for a change into any board policy pertaining to representation, to give all three Student Trustees a vote.

Student Senate President Matt Mullins believes the future of our institution depends on keeping representation to keep costs low, his reasoning being that if the cost of a Nebraska State College rises even close to the University System, high school students will pick the flagship university.

A proposal for smoking- free zones is being drafted. A policy such as this would eliminate all smoking around academic areas, but allow smoking in some residential and recreational campus areas.
The Student Senate has started drafting bylaws for a Student Technology Governance Committee.

“The committee will be looking for ways to improve current technology as well as consider new technologies available,” Mullins said.

One of the new technologies being explored is a phone app called “Check I’m Here.”

Mullins says the app has three main aspects. The first allows clubs and organizations to submit events for approval, and upon approval they will be put into a calendar. From the calendar students can be notified of events based on interest—for example sort by “free food” or “Social Science related.”

The next aspect is files/forums. Digitizing all forms and keeping an up-to-date record of advisers and club presidents will make it easier to disseminate information, which in turn should foster more collaboration between clubs, as well Student Activities Office keeping track of all the clubs.

Lastly, the app will track data and present it in easily readable formats to see what type of events were the best attended.

The senate has approved of three phone charging kiosks to be installed in the Student Center, library, and Rec Center.

“The project will cost $12,000, but the idea is to give current and future students a safe and secure location to charge their phones while they are eating, studying, or working out,” Mullins said.
Student Senate is also working on updating the Senate office with new furniture and computers. The Student Senate would like see the fees on the ATM in the Student Center disappear, and also start a tradition of an awards ceremony to honor clubs giving back to the campus and community.

Student Senate also inducted two senators, Spencer Sackett and Jennifer Maline, to represent Natural & Social Sciences and the freshmen class.

“New senators breathe life into the group,” Mullins said. “It’s always great bringing on fresh people with their own unique motivations and intentions. It’s great to have almost all the seats full too. This is shaping up to be a great year!”

A new club called Associated General Contractors Club was approved at the senate meeting.

The club has 16 members as of right now and plans to do service activities, Habitat for Humanity houses, help with Boy Scouts, attend conferences, and provide internship opportunities.

So far this year, Student Senate has expanded Wildcat Wheels to four nights a week, and Mullins said that so far it has worked out great and has gotten positive feedback. Senators also worked closely with PRIDE to give their support to the unisex bathrooms.

“If I could accomplish two things it would be getting the trustees a vote and moving the Student Activities Office to a visible location,” Mullins said.
There next meeting will be Sunday at 7 p.m. in Gardner Hall.