Ethiopia and Engebretsen

Erika Schwarz, Staff Writer

If the students of Wayne State College are anything like Dr. Barbara Engebretsen, they probably never considered taking a trip to Ethiopia or Nepal. Especially if you are under the impression (like Engebretsen) that only seasoned travelers can go to Africa.

Engebretsen, a professor of health and exercise science and an avid physiologist, decided to journey to Ethiopia with a side trip to Nepal when one of her friends asked her if she would be interested in going.

“When friends open doors for you to go somewhere make sure your passport is current and do it,” said Engebretsen.

In addition to the encouragement of her friends to make the trek to Ethiopia, Engebretsen, who is fascinated by all things physiology related, decided to make a research project out of the experience and challenge some of the assumptions she had made prior to the trip.

Engebretsen began researching non-communicable diseases and discovered she wanted to partner with colleagues in both Ethiopia and Nepal and make plans to bring small groups of WSC students for shortterm research project exchange.

Through her visits to Ethiopia and Nepal in 2015 and 2016, Engebretsen made numerous connections with people who are just as excited and interested in the same things. As a result, her tireless work paid off. She created a minor in public health at WSC, formed a plan to research and work with Bahir Dar University and a children’s hospital in Ethiopia, which is planning to eventually connect students in Nepal, Ethiopia and the United States in order to share data and other research information.

Last Wednesday, Engebretsen displayed her adventure to the students and staff of WSC. During her presentation she explained, in addition to learning incredible things about her research and physiology in developing countries, that she discovered some valuable life lessons as well, such as: coffee should be served at every possible moment; the importance of slowing down and enjoying the journey; and realizing how beautiful the country and people of Africa are.

Before Enebretsen made her journey to Ethiopia, she had many assumptions about the country, the work she was doing and life in general. Now, Engebretsen feels more confident and full of life. “I used to think, ‘If you don’t have your life figured out by age 25, your future is doomed,’ but I’m just getting started,” Engebretsen said. “Taking the long and winding road increases your capacity.”