Student Spotlight

Brianna+Ward

Morgan Stough

Brianna Ward

Morgan Stough, Staff Writer

Brianna Ward, a second-year elementary education major, has a different story than most students at Wayne State College. She has come a far way from home to be a student in Wayne–1,386.9 miles to be exact. Ward grew up in Tucson, Ariz. and found her way to Wayne in the fall of 2015.

“I chose Wayne State College because of the small community and affordability,” she said. “I also wanted a change from where I grew up, and Nebraska is completely the opposite of what I’m used to.”

Ward has adjusted easily to life at Wayne State, and is very active on campus. She is a Navigator, Ambassador, desk attendant and works in Admissions as a tele-counselor.

“I love being in Navigators because I get to connect with prospective students and be a reason they choose (Wayne State),” Ward said.

Ward already has a collection of stories from her time in Wayne, and reminisced about her favorite memory.

“The first time we had a tornado siren go off, I yelled ‘It’s a hurricane!’ to my roomamate,” she said. “My roommate looked at me and she lovingly said ‘Bri, you’re in the wrong state.’ That’s when I realized that in Nebraska, sirens mean tornados.”

Despite the drastic changes she’s had to face following her move, Ward has grown to love living in Wayne.

“I love the community I’ve built here and the second family I have,” she said. “I can’t just drive home whenever I want, so the community I’ve built is the best thing I have.”

She considers Wayne to be her “home away from home.”

Ward’s biggest inspiration is her father.

“I’ve always been a ‘daddy’s girl’ and he always taught me to love others well,” she said.

After graduation, Ward is unsure of her plans. She said she is leaning toward staying in Nebraska to teach in a small town rather than return to Arizona, but she does have a bigger dream in her back pocket.

“I would definitely give up my college career to be a princess at the Disney Parks,” she said.