Stampin’ stompin’ coming to the stage

WSC Theatre will be presenting the 55th Children’s Show ‘Wiley and the Hairy Man’

Sami Taylor, Lifestyles Editor

The Wayne State College Theatre program presents the 55th Children’s Show, ‘Wiley and the Hairy Man,’ a 90-minute play written by Suzan Zeder.

‘Wiley and the Hairy Man’ is the tale of a young boy, Wiley (played by Amanda Hartman), and his worse fear, a swamp creature known as the Hairy Man (puppeteered by Benjamin Bjorklund, Landon Norquest and Abigail Ramold.)

Through rhythm and rhyme, The Chorus (Tabitha Belmont, Chasen Pietryga, Caitlin Sila, Sami Taylor, Ali Mae Wilson and Aahron Young) creates a mysterious swamp where Wiley must face his fear with magic and wits.

“The play is a coming of age story. The boy, Wiley, gains confidence and learns valuable life skills in his journey to overcome his fears, personified by the Hairy Man,” WSC Theatre Director, Dr. Gwen Jensen said. “Children will relate to and take great delight in Wiley’s charm, willful antics and courage.”

Other cast members include Nitra Blackwell as Mammy and Victoria McNamara as Dog, both veterans of the WSC stage.

“It’s the biggest role I’ve had at WSC,” Hartman said. “It’s super exciting because this is my fifth show, but my second children’s show and children’s shows are always the most exciting.”

In a new twist for WSC Theatre, two major characters are portrayed with life-sized puppets designed by WSC Theatre’s new Technical Director, Brian Begley.

“The set is amazing and working with a puppet for the first time ever is a task, but it’s also a great learning experience,” Ramold said.

Performance dates and times are Friday March 18 at 10 a.m. and 1 p.m.; Sunday March 20 at 1 p.m. and 4 p.m.; Monday March 21 at 10 a.m. and 1 p.m.; Tuesday March 22 at 10 a.m. and 1 p.m.

Between Sunday matinees is a free performance by Discovery Mime and Movement Theatre at 3 p.m. in the Fine Arts lobby.

WSC Associate Professor, Brian Begley and family, founded and staff Discovery Mime and Movement Theatre out of Vermillion, SD.

Tickets for “Wiley and the Hairy Man” are $6 for adults, $4 for students and free for WSC students, faculty and staff.

To reserve tickets call the WSC Theatre Box Office at 402-369-6807, which is open 2-5 p.m. Monday through Friday. All performances are in Ramsey Theatre located in the Peterson Fine Arts Building on the Wayne State College campus.