At Whitt’s End: Live for the stories

Joe Whitt, Columnist

When tragedy confronts us, a moment of clarity often emerges. After the initial shock subsides, we begin to ask ourselves some rather deep questions, and somehow, profound answers pour into our consciousness.

A recent event prompted this sort of response in me.

It’s always heartbreaking to hear about a health crisis in a friend and loved one, and on behalf the Wayne State community, I would like to send positive love and support to one of our esteemed professors here, Jerry Conway. He suffered a stroke a couple weeks ago.

For all you unfortunate souls who have not had the opportunity to meet and know Jerry, I would like to dedicate the majority of my column this week to celebrating him as an inspirational and remarkable individual. After all, the man is a legend.

With his lush combed-over snowy white hair, robust mustache that trivializes Tom Selleck, business casual and loafer style, Jerry exudes a brand that is typically only captured in film by professional actors—I’m talking the Humphrey Bogart, Marlon Brando and Sean Connery sort.

As a college professor, past Nebraska state legislator, Vietnam War veteran and international man of mystery, it’s hard to know where to begin with Jerry. Honestly, the “Most Interesting Man in the World” in the Dos Equis commercials has a picture of Jerry Conway on his mantel piece.

Perhaps most important, Jerry is a life full of stories.

He has been everywhere. He’s done darned near everything. He’s networked and hobnobbed with influential leaders and common-folk alike all over the world.

He’s savvy in business and has a special way with people. For example, it doesn’t matter if it be politician or street swindler—I’d bet that Jerry would find himself and his entourage on the sweeter end of the deal.

This, of course, is why Jerry is one of the best role-models for young world travelers as he and his wife Kathy lead students abroad into Greece, Europe and Asia.

I’ve learned to never be surprised by what he has done throughout his lifetime. You can talk with him for hours, days even, hearing of his adventures, stories, past experiences and jokes.

And while his stories and words are usually light-hearted, there is no doubting the deep impact and life-learning that results in the students around him. His lessons aren’t necessarily the type that can be found in a textbook, either. Rather, it is his persona and outlook on life that seem to be the most profound.

With his sudden health concern, I began thinking about my own life.

What am I doing to fill my relatively brief time upon this planet? What stories would I want to be able to tell in the future? Am I actively doing what it takes to see these stories come to fruition? And finally, how will I be able to use these narratives to teach and shape the generations after me?

Like Jerry, I want to live a life of doing—traveling places, engaging others, navigating through difficult and uncertain terrain and solving problems.

While doing these endeavors, however, there is one final variable that Jerry is particularly adept at, and that is simply enjoying the ride. There’s hardly a dull moment with Jerry, and his fun-loving energy is contagious to all who are around him.

Thanks for everything, Jerry. We’re all wishing you the best on the road to recovery!