Look out below

Turkeys will be dropped for the 21st time

Josh Tvrdy, Staff Writer

It’s a bird. It’s a plane. No, wait, it’s a rocking chair?

The staff of 91.9 the Cat is hosting the 21st annual Turkey Drop Thursday at 4 p.m. outside of Neihardt Hall.

“It’s a fun event, but it is also an important learning event for students,” Dr. Michael Marek, advisor for 91.9 The Cat, said. “It teaches students to plan, promote and run an event.”

Marek, who has helped with the Turkey Drop since 2004, has seen over half of all the drops in his time at Wayne State College.

“It’s one of those events that current students and alums always remember fondly,” Marek said. “One year the TKE’s entered a full-size bumper pool table. It was so big we had to disassemble it and throw it off in pieces.”

There are five categories for this year’s Turkey Drop, including sharpshooter, best dressed, longest hang time, biggest splat and people’s choice. The category winners will each receive a trophy and a pot pie. Participants can enter by sending a description of the item to [email protected], messaging the station’s Facebook page, “Your Music Authority,” a description of the item or by bringing a written description of the item to the station on the fourth floor of the humanities building.

Entries may not contain glass or chemicals and must be small enough for one person to carry.

“With an event like this, there’s a lot of behind-the-scenes work which we’ve been coordinating for a couple of months now,” 91.9 the Cat’s general manager Megan Kneifl said. “Our staff has worked really hard and I’m very proud of them and excited to see it all come together this Thursday.”

The staff also asks that all entrants bring non-perishable food for the Student Food Pantry.

“We get the added joy of benefiting the Student Food Pantry, so we’re happy to be able to give back,” Kneifl said.

The Turkey Drop will be broadcast live on 91.9 FM and on thecat.wsc.edu.