Gazing at the stars made fun for all ages

Fred G. Dale Planetarium offers a wide variety of shows through October

Taylor Clark, Staff Writer

Head always in the clouds?

Lucky for you, there is a place on campus where people will not get upset when it is. The Fred G. Dale Planetarium will take you on an adventure into deep space, your gateway to everything.

Enjoy the Spitz Scidome high-definition projection system with three million pixels projected on a 30-foot dome with 500 million stars to gaze your eyes upon.

With the already incredible views the system will display with-in the dome, there is a new gadget that planetarium director Todd Young is excited to experiment with.

“The Sci-touch system is remote controlled and gives you a real-life interactive experience for orbiting the moon and sun while turning it in any direction in the dome to give it a full view,” Young said.

Sit back and enjoy shows in dark­ness while exploring the darkness above.

“A new kids show is incorporat­ing Big Bird with the show, ‘One world, One sky,’” Young said. The fun experience for the kids is set for Friday, Oct.16, at 7 p.m. and Saturday, Oct.17, at 2 p.m.

Another feature to look forward to is the Compass, Clock, and Cal­endar on Friday, Oct. 23, at 8 p.m. and Saturday, Oct. 24, at 3 p.m.

“This shows how to use the sky as a compass and clock so you can tell where you are facing by just looking up at the sky,” Young said.

Another upcoming show worth checking out is the Black Box Trio presented by the Wayne State College Department of Music. “Under the Stars” is set for Oct. 8 and 9 at 7:30 p.m. in the plan­etarium and will include Dr. Karl Lolbeck, Mrs. Kathi Ageroth and Mr. Philip Pfaltzgraff. This show will also include works of violin, clarinet and piano.

“Black Box Trio will be playing music in-front of the crowd in the planetarium while the stars and universe show above,” Young said.

“The shows I have been to in the past have been really cool, and you learn a lot about space. I’m looking forward to the fall line-up,” senior Taylor Martin said.