WSC soccer falls to 18th-ranked Winona State, Upper Iowa

Justin Yost, Staff Writer

Wayne State College women’s soccer team battled all the way back only to lose in the final min­utes and end the game 3-2 over this past weekend.

WSC started the weekend on the road against 18th-ranked Wi­nona State on Saturday. Winona State came out firing, scoring the opening goal just minutes after the game started. The Wildcats regrouped and held the Warriors in check for the rest of the first half. Winona State held the lead on shots 5-3.

In the second half, WSC could not get anything positive going, only attempting one shot in the next 45 minutes. Winona State showed why they are a nationally-ranked program by attempting 15 shots and scoring one in the 77th minute. Winona ended the contest with a 20-4 shot advantage and a 4-1 advantage in the corner department.

Senior forward Josie Brown attempted two shots to lead the Wildcats while Junior Kylie Comba recorded 12 saves on the day.

WSC traveled to Upper Iowa to take on the Peacocks on Sunday afternoon.

Brown opened up the scoring for the Wildcats with her first goal of the season in the 14 minute of the game. Suenly Galvez assisted on the goal, whipping a pass to the top of the box for Brown to bury in the back of the net. The Peacocks would go on the make two unan­swered goals just before half-time, making the score 2-1 in favor of Upper Iowa.

The Wildcats wouldn’t stay be­hind long. Freshman Christina Stasi made the equalizing goal in the 58th minute for the first goal of her col­lege career.

“I felt like I was very due for a goal, so I was very ecstatic when I finally put one in the back of the net. I hope this is the first of this season,” Stasi said.

The game went back and forth for the remainder of the second half. Wildcat hearts were broken in the 87th minute when the Peacocks got behind the defense and put away the winning goal.

“I feel like we are always so close to getting a positive result, but can’t hang on. We have played like we deserve a win, and it will come,” Brown said.

The Wildcats will be back in ac­tion on Saturday, when they return home to take on Northern State at 1 p.m.