Dylan McGill strikes out 11, earns NSIC pitching honors

Marcel Dunson, Staff Writer

Dylan McGill, a WSC senior pitcher, has been named NSIC pitcher of the week for the first time in his career.

McGill improved to 6-0 on the season Sunday against Upper Iowa and struck out a career-high 11 batters.

“It’s an honor, especially in my last home start as a Wildcat on senior weekend,” McGill said.

McGill, a 5’10, 195 pounder from Wahoo, attended Bishop Neumann High School, where he was a three-year starter in football and named all-state two years in a row.

“I enjoyed football and considered playing in college, but at the end of the day baseball won,” McGill said.

Before attending WSC, McGill went to the University of Nebraska-Omaha, a Division I school. During the 2012 season at UNO, McGill had some success, hitting a .205 batting average with nine hits, three doubles, three RBI’S and five runs.

“I enjoyed my time at UNO, but I wanted an opportunity to play a bigger role on a team,” McGill said. “I’m happy with the decision, as it’s been a great experience in Wayne. We have a great group of players and coaching staff.”

In 2014, McGill became a Cat and made 10 starts his junior year, going 4-4 with a 6.80 ERA. McGill ranked third among the WSC pitching staff, striking out 48 batters in just 43.2 innings.