Former ‘Glee’ star set to perform in Ramsey Theatre

Melissa Norris, Staff Writer

At Journey Christian Church, they have “challenge nights.” Members of the Journey Christian Church College group draw cards with challenges on them out of a box.

Two months ago, Kelsi Anderson drew a card challenging her to raise $1,000 for the Wayne community or surrounding communities.

“I immediately thought of Pilger and wanted to help them,” Anderson said.
On June 16, Pilger, Neb. was hit by twin tornadoes that destroyed much of the town, including homes, businesses and the school.

An education major here at Wayne State College, Anderson wanted to make sure those school students still had all they needed to succeed, starting with the right books.

Anderson began organizing the Wisner-Pilger Fundraiser Concert Event starring former “Glee” star Damian McGinty in order to raise funds to replenish the middle school’s library.

Though the grades 5 and 6 are now connected to the kindergarten through 4th grade elementary school in Wisner, those middle school students are still missing their own higher level reading materials from their own library.

“I wanted those students to have the same books and resources they had before,” Anderson said.

How did she make it happen?

“The first thing I did was go on [Damian McGinty’s] official website and emailed the site manager, wondering if he would even be interested. His manager emailed me back and forth two weeks before committing to the event,” Anderson said. I never thought it would happen, but it quickly became a reality. I had a timeline of two days to get a venue and give him the details, but once they committed, I’ve now had about a month and a half to officially prepare and set up.”

The event will be held on Sunday, April 26, at 1 p.m. in Ramsey Theatre. Tickets cost $25 and can be purchased at wisnerpilgerevents.myonlinecamp.com and will also be sold at the door the day of the event.

The performing artist, McGinty, was a member of the singing group ‘Celtic Thunder’ before becoming a winner of the TV show “The Glee Project.”
He is best known for playing the role of Rory Flanagan on “Glee” for a season and a half.

McGinty will be performing for two hours and will be singing new original works.

On his official Facebook page, McGinty posted, “Stoked for this show guys, and for a great cause too.

Spread the word and bring your friends. Gonna try out new original material, and you will be the first to hear it.”

So far, 188 tickets have been sold. Anderson said the goal is 250 tickets.

The Journey Christian Church College Group would love to see at least 62 more tickets sold by Sunday, or at the door the day of the event.