Annual ‘Fill the Hill’ event next Wednesday

Connor Ryan, Staff Writer

A week from today if you’re not at the Pete Chapman Baseball/Softball Complex for “Fill the Hill,” then you’re doing something wrong.

Jeff Meyer and his PED 295 class will be there putting on the annual Fill the Hill event.

“The Fill the Hill is a pink-out game for our WSC softball program,” Meyer said. “What we’re trying to do is to bring awareness to breast cancer through the softball program, and we encourage everyone to wear pink.”

Breast cancer is the most common cancer among American women, except for skin cancers. About 1 in 8 women in the U.S., will develop invasive breast cancer during their lifetime. About 231,840 new cases of invasive breast cancer will be diagnosed in women.

“It is a cancer that widely affects the female population,” Meyer said. “Many people are affected and touched by cancer. In some small way, we’re trying to pay it forward.”

If you don’t have anything pink to wear, don’t worry about that because Meyer and his class will be giving out XL pink T-shirts for the game along with other promotions.

“We got some pink T-shirts that says ‘Fill the Hill,’” Meyer said. “We’re going to sell dollar hot dogs, and we’re also going to have a root beer keg with ice cream, so come make your own float.”

In return, Meyer only asks for a free will donation that will go towards the Providence Medical Oncology Unit.

Meyer and his class have been hard at work on social media trying to promote the event.

This is a new step for a professor that still does not own a cell phone.

“I’m a guy who doesn’t even own a cell phone, and probably will not,” Meyer said. “Our students are well-versed electronically. They have designed posters to post all over the campus and on social media.”

Twitter, Facebook and the campus radio station 91.9 The Cat are all places that Meyer and his students are hitting, trying to get as big of a turn-out as they can.

Last year’s Fill the Hill did not receive as high of a turn-out as Meyer was hoping for. This was due to the poor weather, which included a mix of snow and rain. Meyer hopes the extra attention on social media and the added publicity will draw more people to the event.

“We can’t control the weather,” Meyer said. “The 19 kids in my class have put a lot of work into this to make it a successful event.”

The game itself is on Wednesday, April 22. The Wildcats softball team will be taking on Upper Iowa in a doubleheader starting at 2 p.m.

“If we can get the population of the campus to come on out,” Meyer said. “Sit on the hill, enjoy a dollar-dog, a root beer float, maybe win a T-shirt, put some money in a free will offering for a good cause and we’ll have a good time.”