24 hours live on the air

91.9 The Cat to raise money for Haven House Thursday and Friday

Lauren Davis, Staff Writer

Domestic violence and abuse can happen to anyone.

However, the problem in society is that it is often overlooked or excused.
If it does happen, Wayne has the resources to help.

Haven House is a local non-profit organization that can change the outcomes for anyone who is suffering.

This Thursday, Michael Marek’s radio production class will be raising money for Haven House by doing a “24-hour remote.”

This is the 20th consecutive year that Wayne State has put on this service-learning project.

From noon on Thursday until noon on Friday, 91.9 The Cat, the school’s radio station, will be live at various locations around Wayne.

For 24 hours on Thursday and Friday, there will be a table set up with WSC students broadcasting live at Wayne East.

For part of Thursday, they will have a table set up at Pac “N” Save, where people around town can come and donate money for Haven House. Later in the evening, there will also be one set up downtown.

Throughout the 24 hours, there will be 2-3 minute segments providing various information about Haven House and some statistics about domestic violence and sexual abuse.

Students will educate listeners about domestic violence, sexual assault, safety planning and other available services that Haven House offers.

All of the money will be given to Haven House, which they use on different supplies. On Haven House’s website they have a “wish-list” the money goes to as well. havenhousefsc.com

“We do this because it is a fun, memorable experience, and allows students to contribute to a good cause.” Michael Marek, advisor of the radio station, said. “This is a good, worthy event that graduate students remember for years to come. It is a significant learning experience for their futures because they have to make adequate preparation to plan, promote, and conduct this major event.”

Tune in to the live stream on 91.9 the Cat on Thursday and Friday, or stop by one of the tables at the various locations to help the cause.