Softball team sweeps weekend doubleheaders on the road

Richard Rhoden

The infielders meet at the mound for a pep talk before resuming play from a contest earlier in the season.

Melanie Alyea, Staff Writer

Coming out with an early lead the first couple innings of the games still wasn’t enough for the Wildcats to win against Winona State University in their home doubleheader last Tuesday.

The ‘Cats had a promising start to both games when they scored all of their runs in the first two innings of play.

Senior Jordan King hit a solo home run the first inning of the first game and sophomore Alyssa Schropp had an RBI double in the second, leaving the Wildcats ahead at 3-0.

The ‘Cats didn’t score after the second inning, while the Warriors scored their first run in the third inning and continued to score until the seventh inning, winning the first game 7-3.

The second game went on in the same manner, WSC taking an early lead only to end up losing all momentum when the Warriors started to score. The final tally of the second game was 12-2 after only five innings of play, and Winona went home with a sweep against the Wildcats.

The ‘Cats headed up to Minnesota to play their NSIC doubleheader on Friday against Minnesota State University, Moorhead.

WSC had a four-run inning in the third and also tacked on single runs in the fourth and sixth innings to give the ‘Cats a 6-0 lead over the Dragons. Moorhead added a single run to the board in the seventh inning to avoid being shutout by the Wildcats.

The second game went in a similar fashion.

WSC earned single runs in both the second and third innings, only to break it open in the fourth inning with four runs against the Dragons, who didn’t score a run the whole game.

Senior Kelcie Bormann pitched the shutout against MSUM with 10 strikeouts and allowed 6 hits throughout the game, helping WSC take the sweep.

The Wildcats continued their weekend against Northern State in Aberdeen, S.D., on Saturday.

The first game of the day was a close one, going into the seventh inning tied at 4-4 until WSC scored the winning run with an RBI pop-fly to the right fielder by Bormann to score junior Lexie Loos, making the final score 5-4.

The second game wasn’t as much of a nail-biter for the ‘Cats, who scored four runs on four hits and two of the Wolves’ errors. Bormann pitched her second shutout of the weekend, allowing only three hits along with five strikeouts as WSC won 5-0.

The Wildcats head to Southwest Minnesota State in another NSIC doubleheader beginning at 1 p.m. on Wednesday afternoon.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Winona
Game 1
Winona State………….003 031 0 – 7 11 1
Wayne State (Neb.).. 120 000 0 – 3 8 0
Win – Walker, As (10-3). Loss – Miller, C. (5-2).
2B – Perez, L; Walker, As; King, J.; Schropp, A..
HR – Lintz, M; Larsen, M; King, J..
Game 2
Winona State………….006 24 – 12 13 1
Wayne State (Neb.).. 200 00 – 2 5 1
Win – Lythberg, H (12-3). Loss – Bormann, K. (9-6).
2B – Karsten, R 2; Walker, As 2; Lintz, M; O’Herron, A.
HR – Karsten, R; Kalmes, N.
Moorhead
Game 1
Wayne State (Neb.).. 004 101 0 – 6 11 1
MSU Moorhead…….. 000 000 1 – 1 7 5
Win – Scheffert, S (4-3). Loss – Nybo, Morgan (9-6).
2B – O’Brien, S.(6); York, B.(3).
Game 2
Wayne State (Neb.).. 011 400 0 – 6 9 1
MSU Moorhead…….. 000 000 0 – 0 6 2
Win – Bormann, K. (10-6). Loss – Nordby, K. (2-5).
2B – King, J. 2(6); Schropp, A.(5); Huss, T.(6); Klug, Hannah(2).
3B – Wobken, S.(1).
Northern
Game 1
Wayne State (Neb.).. 300 010 1 – 5 10 2
Northern State………..010 030 0 – 4 8 2
Win – Scheffert, S (5-3). Loss – Smesmo, K. (12-7). Save – Bormann, K. (1).
2B – Loos, L.; Williams, K..
HR – Bormann, K..
Game 2
Wayne State (Neb.).. 010 000 4 – 5 9 0
Northern State………..000 000 0 – 0 3 4
Win – Bormann, K. (11-6). Loss – Elkins, M. (5-7).
2B – Dilts, K..