‘Biggest little rugby town in the USA’

City of Wayne rakes in about $500,000 from local rugby tournament

Courtney Upah, Staff Writer

The rugby tournament held here in Wayne this weekend will draw over 1,800 players from out of state, making it the third largest rugby competition in the USA.

And it will bring in about half a million dollars.

In total, 80 teams are coming to this tournament to compete, from 17 states and Canada.

“I can say that the rugby tournament and other WSC athletic events bring many visitors to Wayne and provide a definite economic impact,” Assistant Director of Wayne Area Economic Development Irene Fletcher said. “Since the opening of the new Cobblestone Hotel, overnight stays have increased due to athletes, officials,and fans staying in Wayne for the games. It is obvious that the rugby tournament brings people to the community when the local restaurants are full of customers.”

On the same weekend as the tournament, Riley’s Bar and Grill will hold its annual rock concert and toga dance, which is not in conjunction with the tourney. This toga party is typically well-attended, keeping students here in Wayne with a $100,000 stage show.

But as the past has shown, this weekend is mainly about rugby. Only a few years ago, Wayne hosted 90 teams on the tenth anniversary of Wildcat rugby.

With this tournament drawing such attention, Wayne is bringing out the best. And to live up to such standards, the tournament gets the best referees around.

Forty referees are needed to run this tournament, and only three are from Wayne. Coach Darrin Barner has to fly in these officials from places as far away as California and New York, and this year he is flying in seven from Canada.

“Along with the teams, rugby fans come to Wayne. A medical helicopter pilot originally from England comes up each year from Oklahoma. Last year, a bus of rugby fans from Utah, and not even playing in the tournament,” Barner said. “It is always great to have some retirement aged people from Australia, UK and South Africa make plans from out of state to come to Wayne to watch 120 games over a weekend.

“People take vacation time to come to this event, and love the competition. Some teams come as early as Thursday, and this year, Arkansas State will make an early trip to Wayne to have a well-rested and fine-tuned team by Friday.”

Others are also taking notice of all of the talent brought here, with scouts from the USA rugby Olympic office coming to scout players for the national team.

“When teams come this far away, they have one thing on their mind and that is to win the tournament. Twelve of the fourteen years, the winner of the Wayne Tournament ended up national champions,” Barner said. “The competition level is at extreme levels and well worth the traveled miles to come to Wayne, the biggest little rugby town in the USA.”

There are so many people expected to show up for this tournament that Red Bull will be there with their Hot Rod Car and bikini team to promote Red Bull and give out free samples early Saturday afternoon.

This tournament is not only good for the rugby team, but for WSC and the city of Wayne. The public can attend the tournament for free at the Wayne Rugby Park on East 4th Street, just three blocks South of McDonald’s and the Super 8 Motel. The games will be on Saturday from 8:15 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. and Sunday from 8:45 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.