A way with words

Plains Writers Series features multiple Poet Laureates

Melissa Norris, Staff Writer

Twice a semester the Wayne State Department of Language and Literature and the WSC Press hold a Plains Writers Series event on the second floor Humanities lounge.

This semester, Gailmarie Pahmeier, Scott Abels and David Lee will read their fantastic works for interested students, faculty and friends of poetry tomorrow (Thursday) at 1 p.m. and 2 p.m.

The reading is nothing fancy, just a group of spectators that gather together to listen to great Midwest writers share their works of poetry or fiction.

This semester is no exception.

Except, of course, this time around two of the writers featured will be from the west—not the Midwest.

Spectators will have to try not to hold it against them.

They are very talented in their own right.

After all, in January 2015 Pahmeier became the first Poet Laureate of Reno, Nevada.

She is widely published and has received the Governor’s Award for Excellence in the Arts from the state of Nevada. Her most recent work is a collection of her poems, “The Rural Lives of Nice Girls.”

Lee was the first Poet Laureate of Utah. He has not only been published, but his handwritten manuscripts are kept in an archive in Utah State University.

He has acted in a PBS film, has an Honorary Doctorate of Humane Letters from Southern Utah University and his newest book, Last Call, was published on his birthday.

And Abels. Well, he is the Nebraskan, he has taught in Mexico and Hawaii and has been published. On numerous occasions. In numerous mediums. He now resides in Stanton and edits an online poetry journal.

These fine writers will carry on the Plains Writers Series tradition that started at Wayne State College in 1977.

Spectators will be able to listen to their work free of charge, unless of course they’d like to buy a delicious baked good from the Sigma Tau Delta bake sale, taking place at the back of the room for their munching convenience.

Following the Plains Writers Series, the WSC Press will also host this semester’s poetry slam at the Max at 7 p.m.

The event is free and open to the public. Registration is at 6:00 p.m. for participants and costs $5.