Pre-poetry slam gets ball rolling

Justise Brundage

Laura Salisbury reads a poem about her grandfather at the Pre-Poetry Slam last Thursday.

Derek Pufahl, Staff Writer

Greasing the wheels for tomorrow night’s Poetry Slam XXXIII, Chad Christensen’s Editing and Publishing classes put on a pre-poetry slam last Thursday night at The Max Bar and Grill.

Behind thick wooden doors in The Max’s back room, the evening kicked off at 7 p.m. with both Taylor Penn and Dirk Schnoes co-emceeing the slam.

Nervous students may have been relieved to find that the room wasn’t nearly as crowded as the official Poetry Slams are. The atmosphere was much more personable, but the applause was just as loud.

“This is a chance to practice your poems and kind of a substitute for those who can’t make it to the real thing,” said Penn.

Differing from the “real thing,” last Thursday’s pre-poetry slam didn’t have the designated judges who usually give out scores to the individual poems read. However, both Penn and Schnoes let the audience know that if they wanted a score and/or advice about their poetry they would give it.

The lights were dimmed, and the beer flowed. Students approached the mic to read a wide variety of poems. Poems which ranged from the wild and wacky to the emotional and engaging.

Students are encouraged to come on down to the Max tomorrow night (March 5) for the real thing.

Those brave souls who wish to participate in Poetry Slam XXXIII should come at 6 p.m. for registration, bring $5 for entry and four poems. The event is open and free to the public. Readings will begin at 7 p.m.