In the movies: Whiplash

Tess Riecke, Staff Writer

Calling all music lovers: “Whiplash” needs to be added to your must-see movies list. Even if you aren’t a music buff, anyone can appreciate a movie masterpiece such as this.

Andrew Neimann, played by Miles Teller, is a freshman at the fictional Shaffer Conservatory, an intense music school. Neimann plays the drums and hopes to make a successful career out of it.

His instructor, Terence Fletcher, played by J.K. Simmons, rides Neimann to be perfect in the most abrasive and humiliating way possible.

A stickler for perfection, Fletcher will spare no feelings when trying to get his students to perform their best.

While everyone focuses on Neimann and his development as a character in regards to classic coming-of-age story, I was more intrigued by the development of Fletcher.

Or lack thereof.

After a big fight between Neimann and Fletcher, Neimann and his father, played by Paul Reiser, decide to press charges against Fletcher for verbal abuse and causing emotional distress.

Fletcher is then fired and Neimann is kicked out of the conservatory for the fight. Neimann and Fletcher have a run in, and it seems as if Fletcher is a changed man because of the whole problem.

When in reality, Fletcher has remained completely unchanged. I won’t say anymore because this is something that needs to be seen rather than explained.

The point is, Fletcher does not change his attitudes, mind or opinions, which is unlike most antagonists in these types of movies.

It is no wonder that J.K. Simmons was selected Best Supporting Actor at the Academy Awards on Sunday night.

He absolutely shines in the role of being the bad guy with somewhat good intentions.

Along with having outstanding characters, the cinematography of the film is something else completely.

The details that the director of photography, Sharone Meir, focuses on are unexpected. Of course the audience sees the sweat that drenches Neimann’s face and body while drumming. However, we also see the blood that flows from the drummer’s hands. We even see the condensation on the cup of ice water that Neimann soaks his hands in.

The film also includes extreme closeups of actor’s faces. The audience sees every single pained expression, and the spit that flies from mouths when characters speak in anger.

The one thing that bothered me most about the film was the predictability of the plot. While it wasn’t so predictable that the movie was boring, it had just enough for me to notice.

For example, every time Fletcher said a kind word, you could expect a trail of obscenities and hateful words were soon to follow.

The ending of the film was one of the best cliffhangers I have ever seen. It isn’t really a cliffhanger, but it doesn’t wrap the whole movie up with a nice bow like most films do.

It ends with an abrupt triumph. I was left satisfied yet still curious about the rest of the story. Just like how a good movie should end.

Overall, this movie is more than worth your time and money.

Do yourselves a favor and go to Norfolk or Sioux City to see this phenomenal film.