GOLD Club provide alumni a chance to stay connected

Derek Pufahl, Staff Writer

Money doesn’t grow on trees. And nobody knows this better than the recent college graduate.

Life after college is filled with exciting possibilities: graduate school, career opportunities and family life. All of which are inevitably` accompanied by the cost `of living, house payments, car payments, cost of raising a family and payment of student loans. It starts to pile up.

Despite monetary commitments, the average young graduate still wants to stay connected with their alma mater. That’s why recently appointed Director of Alumni Relation Sara Marcellus started the GOLD Club.

The GOLD (Graduate of the Last Decades) Club is a nondues paying club that is aimed at Wayne State College alumni who have graduated in the last two decades.

Marcellus graduated from Nebraska Wesleyan University last May and started her position as Director of Alumni Relations in November.

She recognized that young alumni are not always in a secure enough financial place that would allow them to commit to some of the dues and fees associated with the already well-established Wayne State Alumni Association.

“The purpose of the GOLD Club is to provide a way for alumni to connect and maintain a relationship with the college and other alumni without having to worry about money,” Marcellus said. “We’re getting a lot of great response from young people.”

Since the GOLD Club’s start in January, Marcellus said that the membership numbers are rising. Thirty-five percent of WSC alumni have graduated within the past two decades, and the GOLD Club allows them to stay connected with the college and maintain that connection throughout their lives.

The club will be hosting events and socials throughout the year, providing alumni with a way to network with each other and stay connected to each other and Wayne State College.

“Relationships,” Marcellus said, “are the most important thing.” She said that money and donations are something WSC’s alumni can worry about later in life when it is more feasible.

The GOLD Club is also developing its presence on social media and plans to feature an Alumni Spotlight weekly. The Alumni Spotlight allows the group to post updates about what other GOLD members are up to and keep better in touch with each other.

The Spotlights will be shared on the WSC Alumni Facebook page, WSC GOLD LinkedIn group, and the WSC website.

The GOLD Club’s first social event will take place Feb. 20 from 5-8 p.m. at Ameriprise Financial on Main Street in Wayne.

Athletic Director Mike Powicki and President Curt Frye will be speakers at the event, which will allow for alumni to learn about the new club, enjoy hors d’oeuvres, sample beer and wine and network with other young alumni.