Senate impeachment: false alarm

Tyler Fransen, Staff Writer

There are only two words that can describe the Student Senate Impeachment hearing: false alarm.

The Senate met Sunday evening, and as was protocol, the first order of business was to vote on whether or not the hearing should take place.

But even before then, Senator Nathan Boggess claimed that some of the new Senators had no voting privileges.

One of the major complaints against President Nolan Janzen and Vice-President Nathan Schreiter was newly appointed senators not being elected prior to any senate meetings.

Ergo, they had no privilege to vote, and no business being senators.

For purposes of clearing it up at the hearing, Dr. Jeff Carstens, the advisor to Senate, decided that the new senators had voting privileges, and the hearing went on as such.

In a ten-to-six vote, Senate abandoned the hearing, bringing the total meeting time to approximately 15 minutes.

Not everyone is on the side to impeach Janzen and Schreiter, making this issue a somewhat isolated case between parties, some who wish not to be identified.

The parties that are vocal about impeachment will no doubt wish to pursue the issues again, but for now Janzen and Schreiter are relatively secure in their jobs at Student Senate.

Janzen believes that the charges brought against him are unfounded.

“All of the new Senators were unanimously voted in by [Student Senate] no abstains,” Janzen said in reference to Senators not having voting privileges. “It was done by the book.”

Senate will meet as usual next Sunday.