WSC runs with big names

J’Ron Erby, Staff Writer

Over 400 runners were lined up ready to compete Saturday afternoon at the Roy Griak/University of Minnesota Invitational.

The race was held at Les Bolstad Golf Course in St. Paul, Minnesota.

The Wayne State College men’s cross country team was among the massive field of runners, excited to show what they could do. The meet featured 409 runners from nearly 40 teams.

“Racing in a field that is so big is always a little nerve racking,” Justin Brueggermann said.

At the first starting shot there was an interference, causing the runners to have to return to the starting line. Once the race actually began, the junior from Plattsmouth showed no signs of nervousness as he strided his way past 75 percent of the runners, finishing 96th.

“Placing in the top 100 was one of my biggest goals coming into one of the largest cross country races in the country. It felt amazing,” Brueggermann said. “I left the course feeling I gave it all I had and that I got the best of the course instead of the course getting the best of me.” He crossed the line with a time of 28:09.

Not too far behind him, the senior from Springfield, Nathan Boggess finished with a time of 29:12. Nick Fly crossed after him, followed by Brandon Ketchum who had Nick Schmit and Corbin Lehn trailing close behind.

Joey Black crossed the line last for the Wildcats who, as a team, finished with 773 points, placing 27th overall.

In the women’s race, Kinsey Clark was the top finisher for the ‘Cats, placing 152nd out of a massive 330 runners.

Overcoming a course that was very hilly, and “mentally challenging” for some, the Wildcat women finished with 972 points, placing 34th overall.

Clark, a sophomore from Broken Bow, completed the 6,000 meter course in a time of 25:55.

Senior Skyler Lippman finished next, followed by Andrea DeSimone.

Sophomores Jaden Wamstad and Jordanna Trausch rounded things out for the Wildcat women.

The Wildcat men and women cross country teams will be back in action Saturday, October 11th at the Briar Cliff Invitational in McCook Lake, S.D.