• May 7Welcome to TheWayneStater.com

Spring football showcases every player

WSC%E2%80%99s+football+team+hosted+its+annual+spring+football+game+Saturday.+The+game+is+a+scrimmage+against+the+Gold+team+%28offense%29+and+the+Black+team+%28defense%29.+The+Gold+team+came+from+22+points+down+to+rally+back+and+take+the+win+from+the+Black+team+with+a+final+score+of+31-30.+The+spring+game+concludes+spring+drills+for+the+Wildcat+football+team+until+the+summer.+
WSC’s football team hosted its annual spring football game Saturday. The game is a scrimmage against the Gold team (offense) and the Black team (defense). The Gold team came from 22 points down to rally back and take the win from the Black team with a final score of 31-30. The spring game concludes spring drills for the Wildcat football team until the summer.

Faith Schultz

Faith Schultz

Shawn Henley, Staff Writer

Wayne State College football concluded its spring drills with the annual scrimmage Saturday in Wayne.

“I thought the game went really well,” Head Coach Dan McLaughlin said. “Every one of the players got to play and no one got injured.”

The Gold (offense) rallied from a 22-0 halftime deficit to edge out the Black (defense) 31-30.

“I thought we had a good spring when it came to practice,” McLaughlin said. “There were some specific things we focused on this spring and they came true.”

The Black team dominated the first half, forcing five three-and-outs, an interception and a forced fumble. Aaron Wright had the interception and redshirt freshman linebacker Kolbie Foster recorded the fumble.

At the start of the second half, the Gold team got back on track as redshirt freshman Troyante McConico scored on a six-yard touchdown run. The second score came when redshirt freshman Aaron Bleil threw a 40-yard touchdown pass to Gary Vixamar.

Freshman kicker/punter Ethan Knudson booted a 32-yard field goal and redshirt freshman Isaiah Otis scampered in from two yards out. McConico found wide receiver Lavelle McFarland on a fourth and goal touchdown from the four-yard line as the Gold held on for the victory.

McLaughlin said sophomore offensive tackle Mike Milenkovich, defensive linemen Tyler Thomsen, Foster and Bleil had stand-out performances for the game.

“I was up in the booth doing the public address,” McLaughlin said. “From upstairs, those were some of the players that looked good to me.”

In the rushing attack, junior running back Arelious Benn had eight carries for 27 yards, Otis had nine rushes for 26 yards and one touchdown and McConico had seven carries for 25 yards.

WSC used four quarterbacks for the game, as Bleil went 4 of 7 passing for 57 yards and one touchdown. McConico was 2 of 3 and added a score. Redshirt freshman Victory Sikes was 1 of 4 passing with seven yards, and sophomore Taylor Reedy completed 1 of 6 attempts for seven yards.

On defense, redshirt freshman defensive back Ian Ailts had a team-high five tackles and Thomsen had four.

“The off-season is especially important during the summer,” McLaughlin said. “We’re certainly taking strength and conditioning and film study very seriously.”

WSC will kick off the 2017 regular season on August 31 against Northern State at 6 p.m.

“I am very excited about this fall,” McLaughlin said. “I can’t wait to get going again. We’re going to have a really good team and I am excited for them.”