Baseball keeps up strong pitching on the road

WSC takes three of four, wins weekend series against Bemidji State

++The+Wildcat+baseball+team+continues+to+improve.+Their+record+is+now+18-18+overall+and+13-11+in+NSIC.

Photo by Faith Schultz

The Wildcat baseball team continues to improve. Their record is now 18-18 overall and 13-11 in NSIC.

Nate Neary, Staff Writer

Wayne State College battled NSIC rival Bemidji State this weekend, as solid pitching contributed to WSC taking three of four games.

The first game of the doubleheader on Friday was BSU’s only win, as it used a five-run fifth inning to edge out WSC 8-2.

The rest of Friday and the weekend was all WSC, as Aaron Krier went 2 for 3 with a homer, a double and five RBI to push the ‘Cats past BSU 13-7 Friday night.

Led by Krier, WSC held a 5-0 lead after two innings. A single by Cody Jenkins hit Krier in for the first run of the game.

Bemidji battled back with a big third inning, putting up six runs to take the lead.

It took all the way until the sixth inning for WSC to get the bats going again. Tanner Simmons, Jenkins, Bodie Cooper and Peyton Barnes had hits in the bottom of the sixth inning before Krier hit a bases-loaded clearing double to give WSC an 11-6 lead.

Krier went on to steal third and scored the last run of the inning on a BSU throwing error to make it 12-6.

BSU added one run in the seventh inning and WSC scored one run in the bottom of the eighth inning.

After giving up a combined 15 runs on Friday, WSC’s pitching permitted only 4 runs all day Saturday.

Freshman Aaron Breedlove and senior Teague McFadden threw for WSC, helping to take the two pivotal NSIC conference games 4-2 and 10-2.

The wins improved WSC’s overall record to 18-18 and 13-11 in the NSIC.

Breedlove improved his overall record to 3-3 as he put in six innings of solid work for the 4-2 win. He gave up only four hits with three strikeouts.

With the game tied 2-2 at the top of the fourth inning, WSC tacked on one run apiece when Cooper hit an RBI single in the fifth and Tanner Simmons recorded a sacrifice fly in the sixth.

The ‘Cats recorded six hits for the game, with Jenkins leading the charge going 2 for 4 with an RBI.

Saturday’s second game was all McFadden as he put in six innings of work, allowing seven hits with four strikeouts. The win improved McFadden’s record to 2-3.

The WSC offense gave McFadden plenty of support, recording 15 hits for the game.

Next up for WSC is Upper Iowa at home on Thursday at 1:30 p.m. for a doubleheader at the Pete Chapman Baseball Complex.