Seniors gear up to get out

Nate Neary, Staff Writer

Wayne State College Seniors crossed their T’s and dotted their I’s at this semester’s Grad Finale.

“All the employees were great; very helpful and informative,” senior Thadd Simpson said.

The Grad Finale is meant to make sure all hopeful WSC graduates have taken all the necessary courses, paid the necessary fees and have their cap and gown ordered if they would like to participate in the graduation ceremony.

The event was held in the Kanter Student Center on March 2nd from 10 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. and March 3rd from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m., right across from the campus bookstore.

Students were given envelopes once they were done verifying they had completed their required courses. The envelopes contained a variety of documents, ranging from purchasing a brunch for graduates and their families to enjoy before the ceremony, to a survey that includes a short answer commentary for WSC President Marysz Rames.

“I wish they didn’t have all that extra stuff that doesn’t matter if you’re graduating, especially the alumni association. I didn’t give them my actual information, because I just don’t have any reason to give that out. I have enough telemarketers calling me,” Simpson said. “I think it’s smart for her (Rames) to have the exit comment section, though.”

Head Registrar for Records and Administration Karla Hix thought the Grad Finale was well-coordinated, saying it went really well.

“Jason Barelman (Career Services) and I had been talking how we could set up a one-stop shop for graduating seniors,” Hix added.

Out of the 436 potential May and August graduates, 283 attended the Finale, which was 64 percent of the graduating class.

“For the students who didn’t attend, we put the information and envelope everyone else received in the mail the next day,” Hix said.

When asked if there were any changes that the Finale might make in the future, Hix said that they had tried tweaking it before, but there wasn’t really anything in the process in need of urgent change.

“The whole idea was to have everything centrally located,” Hix said.

The Bachelors Commencement for all May and August undergraduates will be May 6th at 12 p.m., with the Graduate Ceremony at 9:30 a.m. in the Willow Bowl, or Rice Auditorium in case of inclement weather.