Jason Mrsny appointed new security chief

Fifteen-year campus security veteran replaced Ron Reddic at semester’s start

Brady Bristol

Jason Mrsny takes on the role of security chief at WSC.

Derek Pufahl, Staff Writer

Jason Mrsny was made the new security manager on Aug.15, replacing Ron Reddic, who has moved back to his home state of Arizona.

Mrsny, a Wayne State College alumus, has been working with campus security for 15 years and said he is excited to be taking on the new role.

“I never thought I’d have this opportunity,” Mrsny said. “It’s always been a passion of mine to help out and lend a hand. And it’s nice to be able to do that in a community like this, there isn’t a very high crime rate and it gives me a chance to help educate a little, rather than only react to problems.”

Mrsny enjoys working with the campus community and says the people are friendly. He will be managing the security office, hiring and training employees. He is working alongside fulltime staff members Brandon Ziska and Chad Jensen.

With the new semester starting and new students exploring campus, safety is the leading concern.

“When it comes to safety, the number-one rule is to never become complacent,” Mrsny said. “Even on a relatively quiet campus like Wayne State, we shouldn’t assume nothing will ever happen.”

This doesn’t imply that the average student should live in trembling fear, but there are a few things that we can do to keep ourselves safe:

Be aware of your surroundings and never let your guard down.

Report any suspicious activity to Campus Security.

Keep personal valuables out of sight.

Always remember to lock your doors.

Mrsny also said that it’s important for students, especially freshmen who are meeting new people, to be aware of who they are becoming friends with. If you don’t feel safe or comfortable when hanging out with a certain group of people, then you should probably rethink the relationship.

The security office strives to be transparent with students and faculty by getting out as much information as possible about campus crime, general security issues and helping in any way they can.

“Safety is everyone’s responsibility,” Mrsny said. “If you are worried something bad may happen to yourself or another person, call Campus Security or the Wayne Police Department.”

On an average day it may seem that Campus Security is only concerned with writing parking tickets, but their real number-one concern is student safety.