Thoughts From A Freshman: Another day, another stereotype

Julia Baxter, Columnist

Last time that I got the opportunity to write a column, I wrote about what was going on in my life. I wanted to let people know the things that go on in my mind, hence, thoughts from a freshman.

A lot is going on right now, but one thing that is constantly coming back to my attention is a stereotype—again.

This time it’s the stereotype of the modern teenager. What really rubs me the wrong way is the idea that modern teenagers are illiterate and that children are disrespectful and interested only in being on their phones.

More than once, people have commented on the amount of time that I spend on my phone. Never mind the fact that I’m reading a book on my kindle app. Even if I wasn’t reading, I don’t think that it’s fair for people to generalize teenagers by saying that whatever they are doing on their phone is stupid or unimportant.

One time I was constantly checking my phone because my older brother was in the hospital, recovering from a slightly dangerous surgery that removed a cyst from his skull.

I, understandably, had my phone constantly in my hand waiting to hear if he was OK or not, when the people around me decided to make fun of me for being on my phone.

Even if I hadn’t been in a difficult situation, I don’t feel like it’s fair for anyone else to tell me that I shouldn’t be on my phone.

I understand the opposite argument as well, but this is just the side that doesn’t get shown very often. I can understand people wanting teenagers to be more social.

I can see how it might get annoying if you and your family are out to dinner and your 14-year-old brother won’t stop texting his friends and scrolling through Snapchat.

I can understand that this would be annoying, as this has happened to me. My family and I went out to dinner, and my little brother wouldn’t get off of his phone. I told him that he was being rude by ignoring everyone, and he put his phone away for the night.

It’s that easy!

I also don’t like it when people say that cell phones are making teenagers more antisocial. What, exactly, do you think that they are doing on their phones?

When I’m on my phone, if I’m not reading, I’m setting up plans with my friends, or meetings with professors, or telling my mom that I’ll be home this weekend.

I would also like to point out that before cell phones and technology, people didn’t really go out and make friends if they didn’t want to.

Before the modern idea of technology, people were watching television and listening to radio. Before that they were reading newspapers, magazines and short stories. Before that they were needle pointing.

People don’t always have to want to be social, and that’s OK. It’s OK to want time to yourself, no matter what you do with it.

It’s your time.