Enter into theatre wonderland with spring children’s show

Erika Schwartz, Staff Writer

The Theatre Department is looking for students interested in getting their feet wet in the grand world of theatre. Auditions for the spring play production of “The Adventures of Alice in Wonderland” by Tim Kelly are today and call backs are tomorrow.

“This year’s play is going to be geared for young audiences and families,” said director and professional actress Nina Buck. “It is going to be really fun and fanciful.”

The cast will consist of approximately 15 roles, varying in size and length. The central idea of this production is the excitement and enjoyment theater can bring to life, so the only requirement to audition for a part is enthusiasm.

“You do not have to have any experience to audition, and this is a great play to start an acting career with,” said Buck. “I’d love to let students know auditions don’t have to be scary or intimidating—I really want it to be a ‘no pressure’ situation.”

Buck hopes that as a result of the enthusiasm of the actors and actresses, the play will ultimately portray the element of fun and excitement of theatre.

“I have directed plays for a long time and I still believe the ultimate goal of a play is to delight the audience,” said Buck. “I want people to go home after seeing the play full of absolute delight, and I think this is the perfect production for that—it is just so fun and wacky.”

“Alice in Wonderland” is Buck’s first time directing a play at WSC, and she has already been impressed by the eagerness of the students involved in the Theatre Department.

“I love Wayne,” said Buck. “Everyone has been so welcoming, professional and prepared. I am really excited about this group of people and their energy.”

“It is just going to be a blast,” said Buck.

Auditions will be held in Ramsey Theatre today from 4-6 p.m. with call backs tomorrow at the same time.