What you need to know before leaving campus housing for break

Zee Elmer, Staff Writer

Wayne State College dorms will be closing at 5 p.m. on Tuesday for Thanksgiving break and will reopen at noon on Nov. 27.

While there are no formal checkout procedures for Thanksgiving break, resident assistants (RA’s) and assistant directors (AD’s) will be going through all the rooms before they leave.

“Students can find all checkout procedures in their Wayne State College email,” Terrace Hall AD Larissa Buster said. “Students can just leave, but we’ll go in and do a health and safety check to make sure the room looks good.”

They will also be double checking that all the procedures were followed. Aside from their emails, flyers will be posted in all of the dorm halls with information on staying for the breaks and making sure that each room is properly locked up.

Residence life procedures state that windows should be closed, floors should be clear, trash should be taken out and fridges should be cleared out, unplugged and left open to thaw with a towel to catch any water.

“Taking out the trash is probably the most overlooked task,” Buster said. “If students need to stay for any reason, they need to reach out to the AD that supervises their hall.”

Students with school-related activities over breaks, such as sports, are permitted to stay on campus as long as they make arrangements with their ADs. However, some students with jobs in Wayne that aren’t related to the school say they also would like to stay on campus so they can continue to work.

“I think the checkout procedures for holiday breaks are simple and straightforward,” Wayne State sophomore Lisa Dohmen said. “But I think an option for open dorms for those who don’t want to go home on break or have jobs in Wayne would be a good idea.”

After Thanksgiving break, there will be only three weeks until students have to leave for winter break. All students, except for those with sports and other school-related activities, should be off campus by 5 p.m. on Dec. 16. The dorms will reopen Jan. 8 at noon.

Students with questions about checkout procedures or staying over the break should speak with their RAs and ADs by or email Residence Life at [email protected].