Registration anxiety rises

Taylor Koch, Staff Writer

Next to finals week, registration is one of the most stressful times of the semester for WSC students. Now that week is upon us.

Through tomorrow, Wayne State College students are registering for the spring 2017 semester.

“Registration opened Monday morning at 7:30 a.m. for seniors, grad students, and certain honor students and populations,” interim registrar Karla Hix said. “Once registration opens up, we continue to open it up for the next group through Thursday. Juniors go Tuesday, sophomores Wednesday and freshmen Thursday. It’s all open after that—free game for everyone.”

Registration is then open through the first week of the semester, Hix said.

Some students have shown signs of anxiety over planning their next semester.

“Registration is always stressful, but I do have to say my adviser does her best to bring my stress levels down,” WSC senior Nancy Escobar said.
Hix cites a specific issue for students: holds.

“Occasionally, students will have questions,” Hix said. “The only things that really hold them up are unpaid bills, health forms—holds like that. They have to have met with their adviser to have their registration flag cleared.”

But freshmen shouldn’t worry. It’ll get easier.

“You get the hang of it as the years go by,” Escobar said. She cited her years of experience as relieving some of the registration pressure.

For those still wondering how to register, there is a step-by-step guide on wsc.edu. Students can check for holds on their accounts on WildcatsOnline.

“I would encourage everyone to go out there and look at their WildcatsOnline account, and make sure they don’t have any holds and know their registration date—which is based on hours earned prior to this semester,” Hix said.