We all need a little more love

Staff Editorial

Mason Schweizer, Opinion Editor

To the relief of many, election night has finally come and passed, and so has the hoopla that comes with it. We can begin watching TV again without having to sit through dozens of political ads, although the joke that we’ve called an election this year has provided opportunity for some pretty comical ads. We can pull up a seat at the bar and have a beer during Happy Hour without some guy sitting on a stool speaking his political mind. We are finally free from the election.

But the ending of the election means the beginning of a new president, and a new era in our nation. It is a scary era that is upon us, but that was going to be the case no matter who won this election. The world in general is just a pretty messed up place at the moment. Whether democrat or republican, man or woman, black or white or brown, no matter what subgroup of human we identify ourselves with, it’s important to come together as a country and stand behind our leaders, no matter how corrupt or evil we think they may be.

Just because the election is over doesn’t mean your dutiful responsibilities as an American are over for another four years. We don’t need to stuff a ballot box every election cycle to make a difference. Some may even argue that voting is one of the least important things someone can do to be a positive change in the world.
There are plenty of opportunities every day to make the world a better place. That McDonald’s wrapper for the McChicken you inhaled on your way to class can be thrown away rather than thrown out your window as you cruise down 7th Street. Offer the old lady struggling with her groceries help with getting them placed in her car. Hold the door open for the mom with two young children draped over her shoulders. Give a quick smile and hello to the kid you walk past in the Student Center that looks like he’s having a gloomy day. It’s not hard to be a good person.

“What does that have to do with the future of our country?” some may ponder. Well, if you have been watching the same election unfold that we have here in the Stater offices, you know that it has been an election filled with hate and hostility. And that hate and hostility is pretty representative of our culture and our generation in its current state. There’s too much hate and not enough love. It’s a corny saying, but it’s true—we are the future. We need to be the change we want to see.
Politics play but a part in making the world a better place. Rather than sulk in loss or boast in victory of your presidential candidate of choice this morning, be a good person. We don’t need the tired arguments of “crooked Hillary” or the bigoted Trump. Those fights need to die with this election. Instead, we need to inspire true, real change in our world. And a little love can go a long way in making the world a better place. At least until the next election cycle divides our great nation yet again.

Mason Schweizer for The Wayne Stater