Colin C. Smith brings art to WSC

Jordyn Knobbe, Staff Writer

Every year the Nordstrom Art Gallery opens up on campus and this year’s first artist was Colin C. Smith from Omaha.

Smith received his BFA in 1988 from the University of Nebraska – Omaha (UNO) and his MFA in 1992 from Drake University. He now teaches at UNO.

On Sept. 7, Smith was on campus for his opening. Before he was able to open the gallery for viewers it had to be set up.

WSC students and professors took an active role in the viewing process, which included a presentation of his background. Art Department Assistant Professor Sarah Krupp attended the talk.

“He said his inspiration was from graphic design and signage. He also talked a lot about his process and how he makes his own pigments and textures,” Krupp said.

After the presentation, “Soft Geometry” had its debut.

“It was amazing to see how the students responded to the work and the artist on campus” Krupp said. “I personally love textures, and I like the way he used gravity in his pieces. All of them were flush to the wall and no hanging mechanisms were able to be seen. It’s also nice to see a local artist and get the feel of what the local art scene is like.”

“The people responded to the first gallery opening quite well,” Art Gallery Director Andy Haslit said. “I walk by the gallery and still see people staring at the art because there is a lot to look at.”

“Soft Geometry” is going to be shown in the Nordstrom Art Gallery, which is on the second floor of the Peterson Fine Arts until Sept. 28.