4-1-1 ‘Cats ‘best record’ keeps improving

Braxton Adams, Staff Writer

The WSC women’s soccer team continued its conference play this past weekend visiting University of Mary and Minot State.

The Wildcats started the game off Saturday with a goal from freshman Madison Burgard in the 68th minute of the contest.

Burgard’s goal was the only goal of the game and lifts Wayne State College to 1-0 win over the University of Mary in conference play.

The first half was scoreless and even though University of Mary held an 8 shot advantage over the Wildcats, Wayne State got on the board with the goal from Burgard and the assist coming from junior Suenly Galvez.

“We know set pieces are key in every game. It’s imperative for us to be at the end and create something out of it,” Galvez said. “It was great, Madison was there to head the ball in on that corner kick.”

Wayne State continued its conference play at Minot State where the Wildcats came up short on a 2-1 loss.

The game was scoreless in the first half, with the first goal of the contest coming early in the second half when the Beavers struck the first on a goal from Ninfa Ramirez, assisted by Ashley Franco.

Ramirez then found the back of the net again after slipping past the defense midway through the second half with the assist coming from Ashley Hunter.

Wayne State got on the board in the 82nd minute of the second half on Minot’s own goal.

“We played very well in both games,” head Coach Bruce Erickson said. “Minot stretched us out defensively, I was proud of our effort and that we played all the way to the final whistle.”

Wayne State College is now 4-1-1 overall and 1-1-1 in league play. The team will play its next home game this Friday at 4.p.m. hosting nineteenth ranked Winona State.