Starting a new life with his wife

Courtney Upah, Staff Writer

“I loved every second I spent with students, as did my wife, in our nearly 20 years at WSC,”Dr. Mark Leeper said. “That can’t be undone.”

Leeper and Dr. Karen Walker, Leeper’s wife, were both professors at Wayne State College last year, but neither returned for the current semester.

The college gave no official comment as to the proceeding of Leeper’s or Walker’s leaving WSC.

Walker was dismissed in the spring semester and Leeper resigned during the Summer.

The 2015–2017 Union Contract Agreement between The Nebraska State College’s Board of Trustees and the State College Education Association, more specifically section 17.14, states that during the proceedings of the dismissal process individuals involved should reveal only “simple announcements as may be required, covering the time of the hearing(s) and similar matters, public statements about the case by either the faculty member, the Advisory Committee members or College administrators should be avoided.

As a personnel proceeding, the hearing proceedings should be treated in a confidential manner.”

For faculty members, it sounds like this rule was set out to protect faculty privacy, but some faculty members are encouraging a change in these rules.

Even though Leeper was not happy with the situation, he remains hopeful with the future and leaves students with this statement.

“So it was time to part ways. My wife and I are not done helping students realize their potential and happiness.”

Leeper has accepted and begun a position as an assistant professor of Political Science at Centenary College of Louisiana, located in Shreveport.