President Rames’ inauguration to be held Friday

Faculty, students and the Wayne community work together to provide a warm welcome for WSC’s 13th president

Derek Pufahl, Staff Writer

Kebabs, jazz, barbecue, blues, ice cream, funk and the inauguration of Wayne State College’s 13th president, Dr. Marysz Rames.

Tomorrow (April 28) the dining hall will be closed, and the Chartwells catering crew will be setting up a variety of chicken, pork and vegetable kebabs, as well as barbecue sandwiches, various side dishes and ice cream in the Frey Conference Suite for the inauguration picnic. The picnic will be held from 5-7 p.m. It is free for students and $8 for others.

The picnic is a way to get the whole campus involved in and excited for Rames’s inauguration.

“The different groups of the inauguration committee have done a great job of getting students and the Wayne community involved,” director of college relations Jay Collier said.

Following the student picnic at 7:30 p.m., music professor Josh Caulkin’s jazz band will be performing a variety of different swing, blues, jazz, funk and Latin music in Ramsey Theater. Everyone is welcome to attend. All of the songs will carry an animal theme, such as “Chimps on the Loose” by Victor Lopez, “Cats Have No Eyebrows” Ian McDougall and “A Little Bird Told Me” by Harvey O. Brooks.

On Friday, Chamber coffee will be holding their meeting at 10 a.m. in Gardner, allowing the Wayne Community to take a closer look at the college and to speak with Rames.

“All is But a Beginning,” the title of John G. Neihardt’s autobiography, will be the theme for Rames’s inauguration ceremony, which will begin at 3 p.m. in Ramsey Theater in the Peterson Fine Arts building.
The WSC Wind Ensemble directed by Dr. David Bohnert will be performing music during the inauguration.

WSC will be welcoming a number of delegates from surrounding colleges, including President David Chicoine of South Dakota State University (SDSU), President Dan Hanson of Peru State College, Dr. Mary Kay Helling from Purdue University, Dr. Brian Hurd from Colorado State University, President Tom Jackson, Jr. of Black Hills State University, Carmen K. Maurer, J.D. from the University of Nebraska, Provost. Laurie Stenberg Nichols of SDSU, Dr. Francis Moul of University of South Dakota, President Randy Rhine of Chadron State College, Assistant Vice President Janna Stoskopf from North Dakota State University and Dr. Nicholas Windeshausen of Sacramento State University.

An invocation and benediction will be delivered by Troy Reynolds, a local pastor from Journey Christian Church.

A number of speakers will be presenting at the inauguration, including Mayor Ken Chamberlain; Jerry Carlson, President of the Wayne State Foundation Board of Trustees; President of the WSC student senate Matthew Mullins; Erin Suckstorf, Chair of the WSC Support Staff Senate; Jake Krueger, Chair of the Professional Staff Senate, and Dr. Jeryl Nelson, Chair of the WSC Faculty Senate.

WSC alumna Adrian Minks, class of 1968, will make remarks, followed by more from Rames’s mentor Dr. Peggy Gordon Miller, President Emeritus from SDSU.

An interior design class instructed by Angela Flemming will be decorating the interior of the Peterson Foyer for the inauguration.

A public reception will follow the ceremony, and later at 6:15 p.m. an invitational dinner will be held for Rames and select individuals. Entertainment for this dinner will be provided by the WSC Show Choir.

The community theater group has put together sketches to be performed during this private diner, which will include a series of verbal exchanges between esteemed poet and WSC Alum John G. Neihardt played by Aaron Von Seggern and WSC’s founder James Madison Pile played by John Dunning. Dr. Josh Caulkin will be playing the role of narrator. The sketches were written and directed by communication arts instructor Mollie Spieker.