BigRich Sports Report: Time for a revolution

Richard Rhoden, Sports Editor

Normal.

Who wants to be normal anyway?

As individuals, we all have unique characteristics that make us unique and different from the rest. So being normal isn’t something desired by many.

But whether you know it or not, we here at Wayne State College are very normal, and what I am suggesting is something to make us very unique.

Wildcats.

Think about that for a second. It may be the most boring nickname out there.

It has to be the most used nickname in sports. Let’s start a revolution.

I have a solution to the problem; I’ve fired up the bandwagon and need everyone on campus to hop aboard.

Squirrels.

You laughed, I get it.

But hear me out, because that is reason number one why squirrels are the answer. Who wouldn’t want to admit that they go to a school with the nickname of squirrels? It’s funny, cool, different and radiates pride.

top10mascots
After you are finished reading this and walk around campus, take a look around.

What do you see?

Buildings, trees, your peers and squirrels.

There are squirrels high and low all over campus, and that is why it is an accurate representation of Wayne State College.

Think of how much more welcome and at home these squirrels would be if they knew about being a representation of this school.

Someone may say that the nickname of squirrels isn’t fierce like Wildcats.

My solution is simple: make it fierce. Wayne State Fighting Squirrels.

For a logo, have a big squirrel head with the big tooth hanging out and mean looking.

It’s flawless.

As sad as we all would be to bid farewell to one Willy the Wildcat, I can assure you that Sammy the Squirrel will be just as great, if not better.

Even with that, we have hundreds of real-life mascots parading through campus all day every day.

Rice Auditorium?

No more.

Say hello to The Nut House.

Where the squirrels gather to fight.

Either you are thinking I am high on drugs or I am the most passionate person out there.

I guarantee it’s the latter.

I came from a high school that had the nickname of Jeffs. Fairbury Jeffs.

I could spend an entire column explaining what that means and its significance. All I know is that it’s unique, and I am a big believer in unique.

I am all too serious about this subject.

Ask me about it and I’ll give you at least a 30 minute conversation about it and will almost certainly sell you on the idea by the end of it, if you’re not sold already.

Lastly, I am asking for assistance. This is for Curt Frye, Mike Powicki, anyone in the athletic department or anyone else that would have any connection with this topic.

I want to hear from you.

Tell me what I have to do to get this change started. I’m really not hard to get ahold of, and I’m looking for you.

Email me, [email protected]. Call me, 402-300-0589. Facebook me. Tweet me: @Richard_Rhoden or even @StaterSports.

Tell me what I have to do, or tell me how out-of-whack I am and crush my bandwagon.

Students and faculty of this fine institution. I want to hear from you too. I have a lovely Opinion Editor here who would be absolutely thrilled if you sent her a letter, proclaiming your allegiance with me or stomping my idea into the ground. Either way, do it.

I have one last proclamation, go ahead and start printing shirts.

Squirrel Nation: Go Nuts.