Rumors are spreading

Sami Taylor, Lifestyles Editor

“Rumors,” a play by Neil Simon, is coming to campus this weekend as the first student-run production in many years.

The play is set in the 1990’s in the living room of the wealthy deputy mayor of New York, Charley Brock, who is throwing a party for his tenth wedding anniversary with his wife Myra.

The action starts when one of his guests, Chris Gorman, played by Hanna Knox, appears on stage very distressed.

As she argues with her husband, Ken Gorman, played by Trevor McQuay, and Chris reveals that Charley shot himself before the two guests arrived. His wife is nowhere to be found.

The Gormans, not wanting their friend, Charley, to be judged by this scandal, reluctantly decide to hide it from the other guests that are to arrive. The couple come up with a story to keep everyone from discovering the truth.

As the story unfolds, chaos breaks out.

Hannah Ramsgard is the student director of this Wayne Community Theatre Production.

“Rumors” was put together by Ramsgard and other cast members, with help by the Wayne Community Theatre and multiple donors.

She decided to do a student-run production to give students who were too busy or felt too far removed from theatre in high school an opportunity to perform again with a schedule flexible enough for them to participate.

Ramsgard is a first-time director, but has been in many plays throughout her high school and college career, including “The 39 Steps” and “Bat Boy.”

“This cast is full of some extravagant characters and they all have one thing in common,” Ramsgard said. “They are all extremely talented and love to perform. What makes this group unique is their varieties of level of experience.”

“Rumors” will be performed this upcoming Thursday and Friday at 7:30 p.m. and Saturday at 2 p.m. in Ley Theatre in Brandenburg.

Admission is free, but there will be a free-will donation at the door.