Dress for success’

Career Services sponsors annual job fair next Wednesday in Student Center

Sami Taylor, Staff Writer

The Career Fair, an excellent chance for Wayne State College students to learn about internships and opportunities in their career field, is just around the corner.

The 2014 fair is set for next Wednesday from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.

“We encourage all students from freshmen to seniors attend,” Career Services Specialist Heather Reinhardt said.

The job fair is very effective in helping students meet employers who hire within their career field.

“Today, many companies hire through on-line practices, so the Career Fair offers students a way to actually meet recruiters face-to-face to sell their marketable skills,” Reinhardt said. “Students may be able to by-pass some of the application steps by meeting with the employer face-to-face at the Career Fair and possibly gain an interview that day or in the near future.”

The Career Services Staff organize the event every year. They currently have over 70 employers registered to work.

Important tips for attending the Career Fair include:

• Research the participating employers in advance. Visit our on-line job board Cat Tracks for a detailed list of employers and company profiles.

• Prepare a resume and print out several copies to submit to employers. Career Services offers sample resumes and if given 48 hours will review and give you feedback on your resume.

• Prepare your introduction. Develop and rehearse a 30-60 second “commercial” to sell yourself to potential employers.

• Dress for success. Make a lasting impression with employers; it is always better to be overdressed than underdressed.